Hit enter after type your search item

Requirements For Entering Spain If You Are Travelling From Outside The Eu/Eea


Requirements for entering Spain if you are travelling from outside the EU/EEA

1. Whichever country you are arriving from, all passengers arriving in Spain by air or sea (ferry), including passengers making flight transfers and children under 12, must fill in a health control form before they start their journey. If you are arriving by plane, you can do this through the website https://www.spth.gob.es/ or on the Spain Travel Health app for Android or iOs devices. If arriving by ferry, you must fill it in at the following link https://spthm.puertos.es/ .

When you have filled it in, you will get a QR code which you must present both when boarding and when arriving in Spain. If you are arriving from a country/territory considered not to be a risk, you will get a FAST CONTROL QR code which will speed up the formalities when you arrive in Spain.

2.1. If you are travelling from a country or territory on the list of low-incidence countries outside the high-risk area, you can travel without the need for diagnostic tests or vaccination or immunity certificates.

2.2. If you are travelling from a territory included in the list of risk countries/areas (see the current list here), you will need a vaccination certificate unless one of the situations described below applies to you:

a) Habitual residents of the European Union, Schengen Associated States, Andorra, Monaco, the Vatican (Holy See) or San Marino en route to that country, with documentary proof.

b) Holders of a long-stay visa issued by a Schengen Member State or Schengen Associated State who are en route to that country.

c) Health professionals, including health researchers, and elderly care professionals on their way to or returning from work.

d) Transport personnel, seafarers and aeronautical personnel required to carry out air transport activities.

e) Diplomatic, consular, international organisations, military, civil defence and humanitarian organisations personnel, in the exercise of their duties.

f) Students who are studying in Schengen Member States or associated States and who have the corresponding permit or visa and medical insurance, provided they are going to the country where they are studying, and that the entry takes place during the academic year or the 15 days prior to the start of the academic year.

g) Highly qualified workers whose work is necessary and cannot be postponed or carried out remotely, including participants in high-level sporting events taking place in Spain. These circumstances must be supported by documentary evidence.

h) Persons travelling for duly accredited imperative family reasons.

i) Persons who provide documentary evidence of force majeure or distress, or whose entry is permitted on humanitarian grounds.

j) Residents of third countries on a regularly updated list (see the current list here).

If you need a vaccination certificate, this must have been issued by the competent authorities of the country of origin at least 14 days after the date of administration of the final dose of the complete (first) course of vaccination, as long as the final dose of that course of vaccination was no more than 270 days ago. From that time, the certificate must show the administration of a booster vaccination (from 1 February 2022).

A ‘full course of a vaccine’ is defined as having received the vaccinations stipulated in the Covid-19 Vaccination Strategy in Spain. Find out which vaccines are accepted by using the map on our home page, and checking the country you’re travelling from.

Young people between 12 and 18 years of age who are third country nationals and who are travelling from a third country affected by the temporary restriction on non-essential travel may only travel to Spain for tourism purposes if they are fully vaccinated. Only children under 12 years of age are not required to present a health certificate of any kind.

As a minimum, the vaccination certificate shall include:

– Full name of the holder.

– Vaccination date.

– Type of vaccine administered.

– Number of doses administered/completed course.

– Issuing country.

– Identification of the organisation issuing the vaccination certificate.

The certificates must be in Spanish, English, French, or German. If they are in another language, they must be translated into Spanish by an official body.

If one of the exceptional situations described above applies to you, and you do not have a vaccination certificate, you must present a diagnostic certificate or recovery certificate:

Diagnostic certificate. You must submit a negative COVID-19 test. The tests accepted in Spain are NAAT (PCR, LAMP, TMA or similar) or antigens. You must present a negative NAAT test performed in the 72 hours prior to arrival in Spain or an antigen test performed in the 48 hours prior to arrival.

Recovery certificate (maximum 180 days from the test date).

Keep in mind that COVID-19 vaccination, diagnostic tests or recovery certificates issued by countries with which the EU has established reciprocal agreements have the same status as an EU Digital Covid Certificate. For more information visit the European Union (EU) website.

3. If you are arriving by air or sea, there will be a health control checkpoint at the first point of entry, which will include at least taking your temperature, checking your documents, and a visual assessment of your state of health.
If you are suspected of having COVID-19, or any other disease that represents a public health risk, you will undergo a medical evaluation, and may be required to take a diagnostic test to check for an active infection (a PCR/TMA/RT-LAMP test). Furthermore, healthcare staff at border controls may perform a diagnostic test if you are travelling from a high risk country. In exceptional circumstances, certain passengers may be required to undergo a test within 48 hours of arrival in Spain.

If you are coming from a high-risk country or area (see the current list here), understanding this to mean the countries where the epidemiological situation is becoming much worse or where variants of special concern have been detected, you will have to present both a vaccination or recovery certificate and a certificate of a diagnostic test for active COVID-19 infection with a negative result.

If you are in transit and will not be leaving the international zone, you will not pass through a health control checkpoint, therefore, even if you are travelling from a country of risk, you will not be required to show a vaccination certificate, although you must obtain a TRANSIT QR code by completing the FCS through the Spain Health Control Form (SpTH).

If the transfer involves passing through border control posts and, therefore, entry into Spanish territory, you must present the boarding pass or purchase receipt for your next or subsequent connecting flights at the health control checkpoint, to show that you have an international final destination, and you can consequently continue your trip as long as the layover period is less than 24 hours and you do not leave the airport grounds.

More information on health and hygiene controls and cases where it is necessary to quarantine.

4. You can see the specific aspects of the regulations of each country and any possible exceptions on the map on the home page.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This div height required for enabling the sticky sidebar