Act Social Club is a professional actor training ground where we master the skills found in acting training such as Stanislavski, Michael Chekhov, or Sanford Meisner. To this base we add Viola Spolin, Mick Napier, and other improvisation legends. We then top it all off with movement and voice training such as Laban and Roy Hart.
Act Social Club is here to help you hone your instrument as an actor: your body, your mind, your voice, your heart, and your intellect.
We’ve designed this online improvisation and acting club where you can take advantage of free resources, jam with other improvisers, and train with an experienced improvisational acting coach.
We offer a comprehensive online training program that will take you from where you are now to being the greatest actor (onstage or off) that you possibly can be.
We offer a few Core Training levels:
- Level 1: Act Social Master Class is the starting point for all who join the Act Social Club. In this 15-hour, study-at-your-own-pace video learning course, you’ll gain a theoretical foundation in improvisation principles. You’ll also physically experience the “homework” practiced by successful improvising actors. At your own speed, you’ll learn from some of the greatest minds in improvisation today: Colin Mochrie, Mick Napier, Susan Messing, Andy Eninger, John Achorn, Patricia Ryan Madson, and Aretha Sills. Each module of Level 1 comes with solo exercises for you to practice on your own.
- Level 2: Acting While Improvising is a live, online course that focuses on the truthful, vulnerable acting skills needed to succeed as an improvising actor. A big drawback of most improv schools is that they are so focused on getting students through 4 levels of classes, that they dive into improv forms without teaching much acting. This is a problem because (and you know this if you’ve ever been invited to your friend’s improv class show) it doesn’t often make for truthful, compelling theatre. Unless by some miracle they are “naturals,” beginning improvising actors are often very difficult to watch for an audience because hardly anything is grounded in reality. In Level 2: Acting While Improvising, you won’t be promoted to Level 3 until you’ve gotten exhaustive reps in “grounded truthfulness.” Be prepared to break a sweat in class. You will have fun and get to play, but you will also do drills that will force you to drop your ego and be vulnerable. The whole course is geared towards balancing improv basics with acting fundamentals. This course is repeatable and we’ll continue you at this level until you are ready to advance.
- Level 3: Improvising for Actors is for improvising actors who have completed Level 2 or demonstrated an equivalent training in an audition. Now that actors are rooted in truthfulness, they can successfully take on some of the more complex ideas of long form improv. While continuing to keep an acting focus, students will learn to create shows and performances of varying lengths and styles. Improvising actors who are approved graduates from this course will have the skills to pursue semi-professional and professional performance opportunities like being on an improv or sketch house team, or acting in theatre, film, commercial, or TV work. If you believe you are qualified to audition into this course please email your headshot, resume, and reel to [email protected].
- Level 4: Ongoing Scene Study
- Level 5: The Ensemble takes all the improv and acting drills to their culmination: performance! We will experiment with existing forms and create new ones, harkening back to the days of The Compass Theatre or early Second City days.
We can also design a custom training program for you or your theatre/school. For more information, email us at [email protected].
In addition, you can select from the following programs and products:
- Free Improv Resource Email List
- Elective Workshops and Courses (Some Open to All/Some with Prerequisites)
- Private Coaching (Open to All)
- Jams (Open to All)
- Performances/House Teams (By Invitation)
- LTD Leadership Training Division (Outreach and Consulting for other Organizations)
- The Act Social Improvisational Performing Arts Festival
- “Yes And” Clothing and Accessory Line
Act Social Club is led by founder/lead instructor Sean A. Mulvihill. A theatre/film actor and director, he has performed professionally on stage and screen in the United States, Europe, and Asia and his work has been seen on such outlets as Amazon Prime, Sony Playstation, and RAI Italia. He directed and produced the film Act Social starring Colin Mochrie of Whose Line is it, Anyway? Sean is the Artistic Director of the Exuberant Theatre Company, which has a long-running improv comedy show at the Broadway Comedy Club in New York City. In 2005, his breakout project was creating and acting in Living Luminaries: On the Serious Business of Happiness, a docu-drama starring Eckhart Tolle, author of The Power of Now. Sean has also performed onstage for the Venetian Casino Macau, the Italian National Tour of Action Theatre (Torino, Italy), and various regional theatres in the United States. He holds a Masters of Fine Arts (MFA) in Physical Theatre from Acccademia dell’Arte in Italy and a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Theatre (Acting) from the University of Southern California.
Colin Mochrie, Whose Line is it, Anyway?Susan Messing, Actor/Teacher, The Second CityKristin Krueger, PhD, ABPPMargot Escott, Improv 4 WellnessBarbara Tint, Past President, Applied Improvisation NetworkPatricia Ryan Madson, Author, Improv WisdomAretha Sills, Associate Director, Sills/Spolin Theatre WorksMick Napier, Founder, The Annoyance Theatre Kelly Leonard, Executive Director of Insights and Applied Improvisation, The Second CityDr. Daniel J. Wiener, Author, Rehearsals for GrowthDavid Read Johnson, Co-Founder, North American Drama Therapy AssociationDonna Hicks, Author, DignityAzizi Marshall, CEO, Center for Creative Arts TherapyBob Kulhan, Author, Getting to Yes AndDon Waisanen, PhD, Baruch College
Improv Classes Enrolling Now
Private Improv Coaching Session$100.00
Level 1: Act Social Master Class (15-Hour Video Learning Course with Solo Exercises)$100.00